pdf of this article

To learn more about how to claim your power to heal yourself, contact



Sign up for a free Discover Session to learn if the Self-Empowered Healing Process is right for you.

Joanne Pizzino, MD, MPH, is board-certified in Preventive Medicine and diplomate-certified in Integrative Medicine. After her own self-empowered healing epiphany in 1997, she has guided people to live healthier through both Eastern and Western medicine, ancient and ultra-high-tech healing.

Finding Your Way Through
Health Challenges with Intuition

By Joanne Pizzino, MD, MPH

“Physical illness is the spirit, at last, having a voice.”

Few things get our attention as persuasively as something going on with the physical body. Most of us rely on the physical body as the vehicle to move us through the trials and ambitions of our lives. We just expect it to be there to do our bidding, often not thinking of it at all until it speaks up to get our attention. Could that pain/symptom/diagnosis be something more than just what stands between you and your comfort or desires? Have you searched for answers to mystery symptoms but relief still evades you? Does the convoluted medical system feel too overwhelming to know what your best course of action is? If your answer to any of these questions is yes, being able to tap into the higher source of intuition could be invaluable to finding your way to wholeness.

Dr. Pizzino

Intuition represents a more hidden, yet still very accurate power of our minds. We can even understand this from the functions of the two halves, or hemispheres, of our brains. The left brain is the seat of language and calculations, so it often gives us answers that are represented by words or formulas—more logical and concrete. The right brain is more emotional, imaginative and artistic, often communicating with us through feelings or symbols. Both sides are completely valid ways to learn and make decisions, however, the left-brain logic often gets a disproportionate share of attention in our modern world. And while we often have long lists of reasons for our decisions, research shows that only about 15 percent of our choices are based upon logic, and the other 85 percent is actually based upon emotion and intuition.

When it comes to the marvelous, yet often obscure, workings of our bodies, intuition can add an important piece to solving challenging health issues. Some fascinating research into this area can be found in books such as Dreams That Can Save Your Life: Early Warning Signs of Cancer and Other Diseases, by Larry Burk, MD & Kathleen O’Keefe-Kanavos, or Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories, by Brian Weiss, MD. Have you had a hunch or a premonition about something more significant going on in your body, or that you should follow one treatment approach and avoid another? Have you ever wondered about the language you use to describe a feeling, such as “it feels like a knife in my back”, or “It felt like a gunshot dropped me to my knees”? Your body may be attempting to get a message to your conscious mind that there is an imbalance in your life that needs attention.

Intuition: Guiding Us Down Many Healing Paths

Let me give a few examples from my patients. “HL” is a post-menopausal woman who had had eight children. She was well-acquainted with the working of her female organs. She came to me having had a premonition, a wordless “knowing” that there was a spot on her uterus, despite having no symptoms. We did appropriate testing, and discovered she had a very early-stage cancer in her womb that was cured by having a hysterectomy.

“DD” is a middle-aged lady with the serious autoimmune bowel disease called ulcerative colitis. She had been to major specialists at medical school hospitals, but felt her condition was not improving as they tried her on different medications. She had a hunch that the latest medication was making things worse instead of better. She wondered if she would dare go off the medication to find out. Utilizing supportive natural treatments through Functional Medicine, and close monitoring, we gradually withdrew her medication, and indeed she improved.

“LR” is a young man with a very physical job who had been sidelined by multiple sclerosis. Medication seemed to cause intolerable side effects. A message had sent him to an unusual treatment: bee stings or apitherapy. Although it seemed bizarre, his gut told him that the bee stings on acupuncture points would be more healing than the medication. Utilizing the apitherapy and other immune support including a detoxifying diet, his MS symptoms completely resolved. He was even able to go back to working out at the gym.

I have been honoring my patients’ intuition and supporting them to investigate this safely for years. Let us tune brain receivers, yours, mine and ours, to help you solve complex medical conditions.